Monday, December 1, 2008

Dec. 1, 2008

I know some of you want to hear about Jake's struggles and glorious homecoming, so I will do my best. As you may have read, Jake's Thanksgiving was full of memories and he slept well Thursday night. On Friday morning, Kevin came over and helped us give Jake the 7 pills he took twice a day. They were difficult for Jake to swallow, but Kevin was here and helped, and Jake got them all down. Jake went downhill all day and by 8:00 in the evening he was unable to swallow his evening pills. We called Hospice, and the RN decided to come check out Jake himself. He arrived around 10:00 and, after examining Jake he decided that Jake would probably not last the night. He called one of the around the clock nurses (Candy) and she arrived around midnight. She helped us get Jake comfortable and gave him his meds in liquid form. She also thought that Jake would not last the night and might only have a couple of hours. We decided to call Sarah and Lisa even though it was the middle of the night and they came to be with Jake. Jake's breathing became more and more labored but he hung on and hung on. I wrote the blog on Saturday morning telling everyone to pray for him to be comfortable and to let go and we began getting calls from Jake's friends and family asking if they could come see him. We said okay, praying it was what Jake wanted, and if you say yes, they will come, and they came. The nursing staff had a shift change and Sharon came to be with us. At one time, in and out, around and on Jake's bed or throughout the house were me, Sarah, Johnny, Lisa, Tanya, Bill, Amy, Elizabeth, Kevin, Kara, Steve, Chris, Haley, Stephanie, Stefanie, Kly, Steve, Alison, Memaw, Grammy, Eric, Laura, Christy, and Dean, and Sharon. We thought he would be happy to have an audience, but I guess we were wrong. He still hung on. Scott, Renee, and Jill came by and people came and went. Jake's cousin, Ethan, talked to him over the phone, and still Jake hung on. I lost track of the number of friends and family who came by and if I have forgotten anyone, forgive me. Still Jake hung on. Around 10:00 p.m. we made everyone leave and Johnny, Memaw, and I settled in for the night. I decided to take the first shift and sit up with Jake (and Candy who had returned). At one time I lay down beside Jake and slept. Still he hung on. At 4:15 a.m., Johnny came in and relieved me and I went to bed until 7:15 a.m. Still Jake hung on. Jake's roommate Ryan, who had been in Hawaii for the week with his family came straight from the airport to see Jake and we thought maybe Jake was waiting to see Ryan. While we let Ryan have some alone time with Jake, I asked Candy why she thought Jake was still hanging on and she said that it might be he didn't want us to have to witness his dying and that he wanted to be alone with God when he died. That was hard for me to hear, but after Ryan left, I again said my good-byes to Jake and said if that was what he wanted, to not have us witness his death, I would give him his wish, but that if it wasn't what he wanted, I would be back in his room in 10 to 15 minutes. Candy and Sharon, who had arrived for the shift change, decided to get Jake turned and cleaned up for the day, and while they were doing it, Jake put a smile on his face and died. I probably would have doubted the nurses if it hadn't been for Johnny leaving his cell phone in the room and Sarah calling. Johnny stepped into the room for a second to get his phone, snuck a peek at Jake, and saw the smile on his face. (lucky Johnny!) So Jake went as peacefully as we could have prayed for, in his and God's way, and in his and God's time.
Thank you so much for all your prayers, thoughts, cards, food, tears, hands, and love for us and especially, Jake. I know he must have felt the love surrounding him and coming to him over the miles. We couldn't have done it without you all out there and your prayers. Some of you we have seen, some of you we have spoken to, some of you have left the written word, and some of you are totally anonymous but each of you was important to Jake in a special way during his "journey." As I've said, we were only supposed to have him for 3-6 months and we had him for 19 months. They are nineteen months that we will all treasure in our hearts and memories. Please keep Jake alive in your hearts. I pray that all of you reading this believe that Jesus Christ is your Savior. Jake did and he is playing soccer with Him in heaven right now. I will see Jake again and I rejoice in that fact. It will help me get through the days, months, and years without Jake here on Earth. I know someday I will see my son again and live with him and God's son in heaven.


Keep praying,
Carolyn/Mom

If you need directions to our house for Jake's visitation on Friday, please call us at 817-451-2515.

9 comments:

Grant Family Central! said...

Carolyn, Johnny & Sarah;

Jake will be in our hearts always. The kids were so touched that Johnny gave me the braclets for them to wear. Our 5 year old, after inquiring about our friend that is sick - I told her of Jake's passing, simple said "he is in my heart". From the mouth of babes to God's ears.

Much love!!!

Dean, Christ& ABC

Cat said...

Mrs. Cartwright, I wrote a blog yesterday concerning Jake, and I thought you might like to read it. I am praying for you guys everyday, and I hope God gives you the strength to get through all this. God bless!

Catherine

lgiamwoman said...

Johnny, Carolyn, Sarah, and Aunt Mayme,
The past few days you have been on my mind and in my heart constantly, even when I am teaching. When I walk into the hall, or to and from the car and have alone time, you guys are the first thing in my mind. I am prompted to pray for you many times a day, so I am confident that many others are doing the same. Though I haven't seen you guys in a long time, I have thought about you often, and followed Jake's blog from the beginning. Thank you for sharing with us your thoughts and feelings, it means so much coming over the miles. I will never forget you guys and Jake, and will hold fondly the memories of our little kids playing together at "Memaw's" house at Thanksgiving time. Love you guys.

Linda Garrett in Long Beach, CA

The Rest is Still Unwritten said...

I'm a friend of Jake's from college. I was heading over to leave him a message on Facebook and I'm just heartbroken to read that he has passed.

Please know that your family is in my thoughts and prayers.

Anonymous said...

I didnt know Jake, and unfortunately came across his and your blog after he passed away. He was amazingly loved. I amdire the strength that you and your family have.

My younger sister who is only 22 herself has been battling lymphoma the past year. Coming across someone as strong as Jake who had uplifting things to write about is inspiring. He had a purpose and left his strength behind to shine on those left battling the same disease.

I will keep you and yours in my prayers...

Anonymous said...

Well done good and faithful servant! Well done! Your faith truly shines bright in the midst of your searing pain. The greatest hope, which is not of this world, is truly evident in the lives of your sweet family. Thank you for sharing your heart so authentically on this blog. You are ever in my prayers.
Love,
Kristi Evans
Conroe, TX

Unknown said...

My son, Paul played soccer with Jake at SHSU. Paul always thought very highly of Jake and kept his dad and I informed of his illness. Paul and Jake share a February 1983 birthday, and that made Paul feel even closer to Jake. We are deeply saddened by your son's death, but know, too, that God is still in control even in your debilitating sadness. I praise Him that your family knows His love, and the "peace that passes all understanding", and even though we've never met Jake, we will see and know his sweet spirit when we go to be with Jesus, too. I know Jake was a precious gift to you, and so many others, and that he and your family will continue to be an inspiration to others who are suffering. "Praise God from whom all blessing flow!"

Sincerely,
Dani and Greg Gathright

Unknown said...

Mr. and Mrs. Cartwright,

I wanted to start off by thanking you for bringing such an awesome son into this world. I found out about Jake’s passing on Thursday of last week. I knew my heart would not be able to let me see Jake like that nor do I have the courage to call you. Jake was like a big brother to me, I loved him and had always taken care of me. I remember when he drove down to College Station right after I had transferred to A&M, on my birthday. He got there and told me that he couldn’t stand to see that I spend my birthday without my friends. There are so many memories that I could share with you right now about how Jake touched my life. I truly believe that if I had not met Jake then my life would not be what it is today. Jake was my Superman, my brother and my friend. I told this to Jake when he was diagnosed and I thought I would share it with you both, “You have helped so many people down here and it is selfish for us to keep you here. If this is God’s plan then he needs you up there to help him take care of people like you do right now.” I truly believe that Jake has changed the lives of so many people. I pray all the time for him and also for your family. If there is any thing at all that I can do please let me know. I have supplied my contact information below if you ever need anything.

Sincerely,

Kyle Ryan Labhart


Kyle Labhart
9100 Independence Parkway Apt. 2608
Plano, TX 75205
214-908-6797 (cell)
214-706-6891 (work)
klabhart@gmail.com

Anonymous said...

infertility for easy Conception. (No more adoption, with Dr Itua your problem will solve and you will have your child with ease.I have been  blog Sites for a while now and today i felt like i should share my story because i was a victim too. I had endometriosis for 18 years and i never thought i would ever get a cure due to the terrible symptoms i had and this made it impossible for me to get pregnant even after 12 years of marriage and it was a serious issue. I got to know about Dr. Itua on Blog Site who treated someone and the person shared a story of how she got a cure and let her contact details, i contacted Dr. Itua and he actually confirmed it and i decided to give a try too and use his herbal medicine that was how my burden ended completely. My son will be 2 this december and also I was suffering from brain cancer which I also explain to Dr Itua so he prepared herbal medicine for me which I drank for two weeks to cure my brian cancer so if you are suffering from any kind of diseases you can contact Dr Itua herbal center to get your cure successfully,  i am grateful to God and thankful to his medicine too.Dr Itua Can As Well Cure The Following Desease…Cancer,Hiv,Herpes,Epilepsy, Hepatitis B,Liver Inflammatory,Diabetes,Fibroid, Lupus, ALS, HPV, Erectile dysfunction, Menstrual Cramp, Get Your Ex Back,  If you have (A just reach his on (drituaherbalcenter@gmail. com Or Whatsapp Number..+2348149277967)He can also advise you on how to handle some marital issues.He's a good man.