Friday, November 28, 2008

Nov. 27, 2008

One of my prayers was that I would have one more Thanksgiving with Jake, and my prayer was answered "yes". I also prayed for one more Christmas with him, but I don't know if that prayer will be answered "yes" or "no" because Jake woke with blood in his urine. (I know Jake is in God's hands and He will take Jake when He is ready, not when I am.) We called the nurse who blamed it on the tumors in the liver not allowing blood to clot correctly causing the blood in his urine. Whatever. I know it is because his organs are starting to shut down as God gets closer to calling him home. Yet even with the blood in his urine and pain in his stomach area and back, Jake was a real fighter and wanted to go to his Aunt Tami's and Uncle Todd's for Thanksgiving so we loaded him up in the car and arrived only slightly after the 1:00 time set for the meal. Jake was hurting in his wheelchair and wanted to be placed on the ground on Todd and Tami's patio. I guess the solidness of the concrete felt good to his back so we did what he asked. It was so nice for Johnny to have the help of his brother, Billy, and his brother-in-law, Bill, to help with some of the lifting. Jake's cousins Elizabeth, Amy, and Kyle were a big help, too as they were always ready to be "gophers" and go for anything Jake asked for. Jake's Aunt Tanya was also at his "beck and call". Johnny's brother, Micheal and his son, Jeff, were there also. Later in the afternoon, Jake's Aunt Renee, cousin Jill, her husband, Rich, and their son, Riley Scott came over (yes, Sarah has Riley Aaron and Jill has Riley Scott) and Rich became a big help to Johnny as well. (Uncle Scott is in Denver visiting with his son (Jake's cousin) Ethan for the Thanksgiving holiday.) Jake would go back and forth from the concrete to the wheelchair to Todd's Captain's Chair and back to the concrete and so on. Jake didn't eat very much, but he had a lot of great conversations with everyone. It's amazing how sharp his wit still is at times and how massive his sports knowledge is. In the evening, Jake wanted to go back outside so Todd and Tami found their patio heater and set it up for Jake along with a neck massager with heat. When we finally decided it was time to head home, (we decided against the jacuzzi garden tub as lifting Jake in and out would cause him too much pain) Bill helped Johnny load Jake into the car and then went with them to our house to help Johnny get Jake inside and situated for bed. I stopped at Jake's house in Benbrook and picked up a few more things and then stopped at my mom's for a short visit with her and my brother, Kip.
I know it may not sound like much of a Thanksgiving, but it really was the best we could have hoped for. Jake was still here with us and awake most of the day and I will forever treasure this Thanksgiving in my heart and remember it fondly.

Keep praying (specifically that we can keep Jake's pain under control and keep him comfortable).
Carolyn/Mom

1 comment:

lgiamwoman said...

God bless you and your family, you are constantly in my thoughts and prayers. I think your Thanksgiving sounds wonderful, surrounded by wonderful friends and family. I also pray for God to keep you guys strong. Love you, Linda Garrett - Long Beach, CA